The San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is seeking a part-time/adjunct Building Construction at San Jose City College.
The Adjunct Instructor of Building Construction is responsible for providing quality instruction to students by ensuring student satisfaction through the classroom and/or laboratory setting according to program objectives. The instructor conducts activities, which directly support the objectives of the program and the institutional goals of the institution. This instructor reports to the program director.
Adjunct Construction Instructors Requirements:
- Plan and teach courses which fulfill the current curriculum goals and objectives.
- Create teaching materials, lesson plans, order books and write various assessment reports.
- Prepare a course syllabus for offered courses, which includes course requirements, attendance requirements, and grading criteria.
- Teach OSHA Safety, Hand & Power Tools, Materials Handling, and Construction Drawing.
- Teach carpentry and related skills, including demolition, rough framing, roofing, interior/exterior drywall, finish carpentry, siding, trim, installation of door and windows, hardware, stairs, blueprints, codes, estimation, energy efficiency, concrete,
- Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and assessments, program review, committees, and special projects as needed by the department.
- Submit grades and any record keeping obligations in a timely fashion according to established deadlines, including any required reports, rosters, textbook orders and requisitions.
- Create and maintain a positive classroom culture and environment as reflected by student engagement in the program and classes.
- Monitor student attendance and work with students to meet academic graduation requirements.
- Attend retreats, workshops, and conferences, as required.
- Exhibit strong communication, interpersonal and planning skills with a diverse student body and staff.
- Possess computer skills, especially Microsoft Suite, such as Office and Excel.
- Write letters of recommendations.
- Understand budgeting and estimation for lab materials as well as ordering and count of materials.
- Willing to work afternoon, nights, and/or weekends.
- Understand and exhibit sensitivity in a culturally diverse environment with a student body from a broad socio-economic spectrum.
- Hold high expectations for each student in the school.
- Model consistent professional behavior for the students.
- Develop teamwork and leadership skills of students.
- Working synergistically with all lab techs, colleagues and faculty, as well as taking direction from administrative leaders.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Any Bachelor's degree or higher and two years of professional experience
2. Any Associate degree and six years of professional experience
3. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
4. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Assignments may include day and evening responsibilities. This position is represented by the San Jose-Evergreen Community
College District Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
Please apply using the Direct Link below and select discipline Building Maintenance:
Adjunct/Part-Time Faculty Employment Opportunities
Direct Link: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobid=56
Position #1500117, OPEN AND CONTINUOUS
Other part-time instructors are needed to teach classes in other disciplines on an as needed basis.
Please refer to http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities
for a complete list of all employment opportunities at San Jose-Evergreen Community College District.