English Instructor, ESCC
Kern Community College District
Open Until Filled:
Class 2, Step 1
Medical, dental, and employee assistance plans are provided for the employee and dependents. The District also provides life insurance plans for the employee, as well as an 8.25% contribution to the State Teachers Retirement plan. Additional types of insurance may be purchased with pre-tax dollars through an IRS 125 flexible benefit program.
Cerro Coso College
CC-Mammoth Lakes Campus
This position will be located at the Cerro Coso College Eastern Sierra College Center, Bishop and Mammoth Campuses.
This course teaches students ways to develop and organize ideas in short writings, focusing on the importance of coherent, unified, and well-developed paragraphs with topic sentences and effective supporting detail. The course will also cover how to build these paragraphs into short essays and how to revise and edit for correctness. Major principles of grammar will be reviewed.
This assignment may include teaching at other campus sites, day or evening classes, weekend classes, large classes, distance learning and multiple teaching methodologies.
Other duties include: participation in student recruitment and articulation of transfer programs; maintaining subject matter currency; developing and revising curriculum; using computer and multimedia technology; collegial participation in departmental, college and discipline-specific professional activities.
Education and Experience:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
Masters in English, literature, comparative literature, or
- Bachelors in any of the above AND Masters in linguistics, TESL, speech, education with a specialization in reading, creative writing, or journalism;
The equivalent. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for these positions. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications must request and submit an APPLICATION FOR EQUIVALENCE
form. Supporting documents must be included with the completed form. AND
- A demonstrated sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service. Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Commitment to student learning.
- Awareness of the College mission, vision, and values.
- Sensitivity to students with a wide range of skills, motivations, and academic goals.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of computers and willingness to experiment using multimedia instructional materials.
- Commitment to working effectively and harmoniously with colleagues in an environment that promotes teaching, learning and service students.
Class 2, Step 1
Special Instructions to Applicants:
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled, but those received by February 7, 2017, 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or re-initiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
Recruitment Status Tentative Dates:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Statement of personal philosophy of teaching
- Copies of legible transcripts
- Copy of sample syllabi
- List of six (6) professional references Listed on application form
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission. Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/8534
- Tentative Application Screening Date: TBD
- Tentative Interview Date(s): TBD
. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.