Fire Technology Instructor, Part-time Adjunct Pool
Kern Community College District
Initial Screening Date:
Open Until Filled:
$60.00/hour; Hourly rate may vary based on type of assignment
Flexible, as needed
The Kern Community College District provides a maximum contribution to an excellent health and welfare benefits plan. The District also provides life insurance plans for the employee, as well as an 8.25% contribution to the State Teachers Retirement plan. Additional types of insurance may be purchased with pre-tax dollars through an IRS 125 flexible benefit program.
This is for an adjunct pool that will be used to staff part-time adjunct positions for the 2017-2018 academic year.
The successful applicant will be expected to provide instruction in all phases of the fire technology program and fire academy. This assignment may include teaching at other campus sites, day, evening, weekend classes, large classes, distance learning and using multiple teaching methodologies. Other duties include: participation in student recruitment and articulation of programs; maintaining subject matter currency; developing and revising curriculum; using computer and multimedia technologies; assessing student learning and program level outcomes; collegial participation in departmental,college and discipline-specific professional activities.
Education and Experience:
Minimum Qualifications :
- Possession of a valid credential which authorizes full-time teaching of fire technology at the California Community College level; OR
- Any Bachelors degree AND
two years of occupational and/or professional experience directly related to the assignment being taught; OR
- Any Associates degree AND six years of occupational and/or professional experience directly related to the assignment being taught;
The equivalent. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for these positions. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications must request and submit an APPLICATION FOR EQUIVALENCE
form. Supporting documents must be included with the completed form
- Certified State Fire Officer, Hazmat First Responder, SFM local processing procedures and functions
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to provide leadership within the discipline and college initiatives to improve student learning.
- Ability and willingness to work effectively with college committees and other organizations and to be involved in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities
Commitment to teaching. Demonstrated sensitivity to students with a wide range of skills, motivations and academic goals. The applicant should have knowledge of California State Fire Marshal policies and procedures, curriculum development, State Fire Marshal accreditation processes, EMT, and development and instruction of online fire technology classes. Knowledge of personal computers and willingness to experiment with computers as a teaching tool in undergraduate courses. Ability to use and develop computer-assisted and/or multimedia instructional materials. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with students, colleagues, staff and others. Willingness and ability to work well in team-teaching situations.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Completed application packet must include:
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/10062
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Copies of legible transcripts
- List of six (6) professional references Listed on application form
. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.