Plans, directs, and coordinates the College's Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS), Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE), California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs), and Foster Youth programs. Directs high school and college-level outreach activities to promote the programs and identify potential student-participants.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Director of EOPS, CARE, CalWORKs, and Foster Youth provides integral student services by implementing support to students that gives pathways and opportunities to higher education otherwise may not be possible through traditional enrollment processes. The Director proposes and administers funding for the services and develops internal processes for properly allocating resources to students engaged in any or all of the programs in accordance with Title 5 regulations. The Director is a management position which is part of a comprehensive student services strategy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Administers and manages the EOPS, CARE, CalWORKs, and Foster Youth programs, ensuring they meet California Education Code Title 5 guidelines in recruiting, supporting, and retaining underrepresented students and supporting the College's mission for access and diversity.
* Supervise EOPS/CARE, CalWORKs, and Foster Youth office staff to include faculty, classified staff, hourly staff, and student assistants. Assist counseling staff as needed.
* Recommend policy and procedures for all components related to the EOPS/CARE, CalWORKs, and Foster Youth programs including, but not limited to, program-specific instruction, counseling, eligibility, outreach, cultural awareness, retention, transfer, and on-going program maintenance. Develop new services and programs for the department in compliance with state and local policies and guidelines to expand and increase services to students.
* Advocates, promotes, and informs local high schools, other College outreach programs, and student services about the programs and administrative compliance. Participate in workshops, meetings, and conferences, at the district, local, regional and state levels as appropriate to the assigned areas of responsibility. Serves as the College's EOPS, CARE, CalWORKs and Foster Youth liaison with the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office, Region 8, and county social workers.
* Sets up best practices for referring participating students to services on and off campus. Collaborates with other student services areas such as, and not limited to, Financial Aid, Disabled Student Programs (DSPS), and Assessment to contribute to student success and student work opportunities.
* Manages, researches, and maintains budgets for assigned programs; administers approved budgets and directs preparation and maintenance of detailed and comprehensive reports, records, and files supporting program operations and activities.
* Responsible for submitting all annual plans and year-end reports related to EOPS/CARE, CalWORKs, and Foster Youth programs.
* Maintains communication with District and college staff as well as various agencies to coordinate program services, exchange information, and refer participating students. Initiates communications to pass on trends and new legislation and regulations for working with targeted student populations.
* Organizes advisory committees with local K-12 school districts, businesses, and parent representatives to establish effective networks for identifying targeted students and coordinating delivery systems for identified student needs.
* Learns and applies up-to-date knowledge of college curriculum, instructional methods, and technologies when working with committees and students.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.