Part-time/temporary faculty positions offer flexible hours and the opportunity to assist a diverse group of adult students in achieving their educational goals. As one of the largest community college districts in southern California, we offer a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, vocational and occupational programs. These part-time positions are as needed and applicants should live within commuting distance to Orange County.
1. This course is an introduction to costuming for the theater, television and film. Topics include but are not limited to
a. Introduction to history of costume
d. wardrobe observations
e. color coordination
f. script analysis
g. basic drawing
2. Instructor will supervise students as they participate in the design and construction of costumes for Golden West College productions and work on the production wardrobe crew.
3. Instructor must demonstrate
a. an understanding of the evolution of costumes for theatrical production from script to performance
b. knowledge of historical periods of fashion, character evaluations, and director/designer concepts
c. knowledge of use and care of tools and equipment
d. problem-solving techniques through pattern drafting, sketch interpretation, fabric calculation, and design and selection of fabrics
e. skill proficiency in sewing and costume construction through practical application techniques including skill in pattern drafting
f. knowledge of fabric and fiber types, their uses and qualities
4. Written assignments for students may include the creation of character charts for each assignment, detailed character descriptions, theatrical production reviews and written exams demonstrating various aspects of costuming history and techniques.
5. Instructor might be requested to provide costume and/or make-up design services on a show-by-show basis as an independent contractor.
6. Assignment may include day and evening and weekend classes.