Search for University Jobs in Community Colleges
Instructor, Nursing Medical/Surgical
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Instructor, Nursing Medical/Surgical
Initial Review Date: 02/25/2022*; This position is now open-until-filled*.
*Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Instructor, Nursing Medical/Surgical, De Anza College. We have three (3) openings.
Foothill - De Anza Community College District Mission Statement:
The mission of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District is student success. We are driven by an equity agenda and guided by core values of excellence, inclusion, and sustainability. Every member of our district contributes to a dynamic learning environment that fosters student engagement, equal opportunity, and innovation in meeting the various educational and career goals of our diverse students. We are committed to providing an accessible, quality undergraduate education dedicated to developing a broadly educated and socially responsible community that supports an equitable and just future for California.
De Anza College Mission Statement:
De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities; to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world.
De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college's Institutional Core Competencies:
- Communication and expression
- Information literacy
- Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility
- Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental awareness
- Critical thinking
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
Under the direction of the Division Dean, Biological and Health Sciences, teach assignments and/or courses in the Nursing program for Associate Degree Nursing Students with diverse learning styles. This includes incorporating cross-cultural knowledge into both theory and clinical practice in Nursing. Participate in all aspects of curriculum development and evaluation, which includes multicultural perspectives and practices. Establish effective working relationships with nursing faculty and nursing service personnel in clinical agencies. Attend college, nursing faculty and agency meetings. Additional responsibilities include being available for program student mentoring and advising.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, service on district and/or college committees, and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Instructors also have the opportunity to participate in campus extra-curricular activities.
1. Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
2. Master's in nursing OR Bachelor's in nursing AND Master's in health education or health science OR the equivalent OR the minimum qualifications as set by the Board of Registered Nursing, whichever is higher.
3. A current, active license as a Registered Nurse in California.
4. Direct patient care experience within the previous five (5) years in the nursing areas (geriatrics, medical-surgical, mental- health/psychiatric nursing, obstetrics, or pediatrics) to which the faculty is assigned, that can be met either one of the following: One (1) year's continuous, full-time or its equivalent experience providing direct patient care as a registered nurse in the designated nursing area; OR One (1) academic year of registered nurse level clinical teaching experience in the designated nursing area or its equivalent that demonstrate clinical competency; AND Validated clinical competence. "Clinically competent" means that a nursing program faculty member possesses and exercises the degree of learning, skill, care and experience ordinarily possessed and exercised by staff level registered nurses of the nursing area to which the faculty member is assigned. The equivalent of one (1) year's teaching experience can be met by: (a) teaching in a pre- or post-licensure registered nursing program for one academic year; OR (b) completion of a post-baccalaureate registered nursing educational course that includes practice in teaching registered nursing given by an accredited college or nursing school. The course includes teaching strategies, course outline and lesson plan development, evaluation, and practice teaching.
- Experience as an instructor in pre or post licensure nursing program.
- Experience with simulation, technology and computer assisted instruction.
- Experience developing inclusive and effective culturally responsive classroom activities.
- The ability to design and apply varied teaching strategies to successfully engage, inspire and retain students with diverse backgrounds and learning styles.
- Participation in professional nursing and/or educational organizations.
- Ability to meet physical requirements of floor nurse including but not restricted to ability to work in a fast-paced environment with Code Blue and/or Rapid Response Team (RRT), ability to move objects/occupied beds with enough strength to perform effective CPR, must have adequate strength, dexterity and ability to assist with cardio version, drawing blood, preparing and giving an injection, ear and eye drops and provide respiratory treatments.
- Ability to work well as a member of a team.
- Indoor, office environment.
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision sufficient to read various materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
- A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- A cover letter detailing your background and experience, skills, and abilities as they relate to the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
- Scan/photo copy of a current, active license as a Registered Nurse in California.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our "Applicant Information" webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
HIRING RANGE: $67,090.00 - $110,186.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per year
STARTING DATE: Fall 2022
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
This position will become Open Until Filled after the initial Closing Date. Any complete applications received while the position is Open Until Filled will be reviewed by the hiring committee only upon committee request.
To apply, visit https://fhda.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/340?c=fhda
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |