Senior Student Records Advisor
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 11/3/2021
Mission College, located in the heart of Silicon Valley, is seeking a dynamic leader and team player who thrives in a fast-paced and innovative environment. Recognized as both a Hispanic Serving Institution and an Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution, Mission College is known for the strength of our academic programs and faculty, as well as our equity-minded and student-focused approach that combines high-tech and high-touch.
The Department of Admissions & Records is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Senior Student Record Advisor, with specific assignment to the Records unit; however, the assignment may be adjusted to reflect seasonal and departmental needs and provide support and assistance in Admissions & Records.
Under the direction of the Supervisor of Admissions & Records, this position will perform a variety of technical functions and provide support regarding the evaluation and status of permanent academic records; perform duties requiring specialized knowledge; serve as custodian of permanent student records; function as technical liaison for all student records systems and software; provide information to students, faculty, and other college and District staff regarding the evaluation and status of permanent academic records; evaluate foreign and domestic transcripts for successful completion of community college graduation, certificate or general education transfer requirements; collect, document, post, update/change student grades and serve as custodian of permanent student records by maintaining comprehensive automated records according to federal, state, and institutional policies and regulations; and provide administrative support to assigned supervisor. This is the advance journey level classification of the Student Records Advisor class series. Positions at this level are distinguished from other classes by the level of responsibility assumed, complexity of duties assigned, independence of action taken, by the amount of time spent performing the duties, and by the nature of the public contact made. Employees perform the most difficult and responsible types of duties, including providing technical and functional oversight over assigned personnel and performing technology support and training. Employees at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to assigned areas of responsibility. Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of December 13, 2021. The schedule will include include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Office, Technical & Business Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $5,916 $6,465 monthly (WVMCEA Salary Schedule, Range 61, Steps A-C).
- Annual salary step increases to maximum of salary range, $7,780 (WVMCEA Salary Schedule, Range 61, Step G).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse, and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Employer-provided life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 12 days vacation leave accrued annually; rate increases step-wise up to maximum 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $45 to $225 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff; AND
- Two years of responsible journey experience similar to Student Records Advisor with the West Valley-Mission Community College District; AND
- Equivalent to an Associates degree from an accredited college with major coursework in education, business or a related field.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
- Develop schedules and methods to accomplish assignments ensuring work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Participate in evaluating the activities of staff, recommending improvements and modifications.
- Provide and coordinate staff training and work guidance pertaining to prerequisite requirements, course requirements, and certifications of degrees and certificates; work with employees to correct deficiencies.
- Monitor and review changes in federal, state, and/or district laws and regulations as they apply to student records and college course offerings.
- Coordinate with and provide department liaison to district information technology staff regarding system software modules pertaining to student records.
- Consistently review and ensure proper coding in relevant systems for multiple reporting purposes; review and correct error reports; problem solve in conjunction with district information technology staff; reconcile academic advising data for accuracy.
- Ensure that student records staff understand and are trained in relevant requirements and processes; mitigate issues independently or in coordination with management personnel.
- Perform the most difficult work related to evaluation and processing of student enrollment and completion records.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other district employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation, and communication.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 7412174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.