Orange Coast College (OCC) is seeking a full-time, equity-minded, tenure-track faculty member in Computer Science commencing with the 2019 fall semester. The primary teaching assignment involves all areas of Computer Science. This assignment also includes curriculum and program development, participation in department, division, college committees, and participatory governance activities, assuming leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole; collaboration across disciplines and the leveraging of student support resources; and participation in ongoing professional development.
The assignment may be day, evening, weekend, online, hybrid, or off-campus and is subject to change as needed. The ideal candidate for this position embraces the overall mission of Orange Coast College and the Coast Community College District, with a clear, focused commitment to supporting individualized student and employee goals through the work of Computer Science.
The Computer Science department shares OCC's commitment to equitable outcomes; inclusive practices; and racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. We currently enroll 21,498 students, the majority of whom are from racially minoritized populations:35% of OCC's students are Latinx, 31% are White, 23% are Asian, 6% are multiracial, 2% are African-American, and less than 1% Native American. Faculty have the opportunity to enhance their classroom methods during two professional development days during the academic year, which include learning sessions like "Digital Accessibility," "Basic Skills: Helping Students Help Themselves," and "Taking a Skills-Based Approach to Teaching College Students." Student-centered activities that support OCC's mission include campus-wide student success projects funded by the Office of Student Equity; partnerships with local Hispanic Serving four-year institutions; active programs that work to improve the academic achievement of racially minoritized students, such as PUENTE and UMOJA; Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) and Disabled Student Program and Services (DSPS).
Examples of Duties: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Provide instruction in Computer Science in accordance with established course outlines.
* Provide leadership in the development and revision of the Computer Science curriculum.
* Participate in curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation; participate in and develop programs to measure student performance.
* Maintain current knowledge in the subject matter areas.
* Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics.
* Fulfill the professional responsibilities of a full-time faculty member including, but not limited to the following: teach all scheduled classes unless excused under provisions of Board Policy; follow the department course outlines; keep accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and progress; submit student grades according to established deadlines; post and maintain scheduled office hours; participate in departmental meetings and college and/or district-wide activities and committees as assigned.
* Demonstrate a commitment to:
* Teaching any of the Computer Science courses offered at OCC-Java, C++ and Python programming, Computer Architecture, Software Engineering, and Computer Theory.
* Strengthening the Computer Science Transfer sequence.
* Collaborate with fellow faculty members in the program- and course-level curriculum development.
* On an ongoing basis, learn and teach a wide variety of new Computer Science courses.
* Instruct and assist in the growth and success of a diverse population of students through careful preparation of course materials, effective teaching methodologies and informed critical feedback on assignments and discussions.
* The assignment may include day, evening, weekend, and online sections.