Initial Review Date: 11/16/21*
*Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of General Counselor, Foothill College.
Foothill - De Anza Community College District Mission Statement:
The mission of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District is student success. We are driven by an equity agenda and guided by core values of excellence, inclusion, and sustainability. Every member of our district contributes to a dynamic learning environment that fosters student engagement, equal opportunity, and innovation in meeting the various educational and career goals of our diverse students. We are committed to providing an accessible, quality undergraduate education dedicated to developing a broadly educated and socially responsible community that supports an equitable and just future for California.
Foothill College Mission Statement:
Believing a well-educated population is essential to sustaining and enhancing a democratic society, Foothill College offers programs and services that empower students to achieve their goals as members of the workforce, as future students, and as global citizens. We work to obtain equity in achievement of student outcomes for all California student populations, and are guided by our core values of honesty, integrity, trust, openness, transparency, forgiveness, and sustainability. Foothill College offers associate degrees and certificates in multiple disciplines, and a baccalaureate degree in dental hygiene.
Under the direction of the Dean of Counseling, the General Counselor/Instructor will provide academic, personal, career and transfer counseling and instruction to a diverse student population. The Counseling Division seeks a dynamic Counselor to assist with supporting learning communities like Umoja, Puente, PRE-STEM, and International Student Programs. The person in this position has the opportunity to serve on district and college committees and participate in campus extra-curricular activities. Perform other duties as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF POSITION INCLUDE:
- Assist students in clarifying academic goals and selecting a major.
- Provide educational planning for students and serve as a resource regarding associate degree and certificate programs.
- Facilitate small group discussions and workshops on counseling related topics.
- Participate in college and division assignments and other department responsibilities.
- Develop liaisons and networks with on and off campus programs, schools, and agencies.
- Teach counseling courses as part of workload.
- Assist in the development and evaluation of curricula, maintain scheduled office hours, attend department and division meetings, pursue professional growth activities, and perform other duties consistent with the role of an instructor.
1. Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, cultural, disability, religious background and sexual orientation of community college students.
2. Master's degree in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development OR the equivalent.
1. Demonstrated commitment to academic and professional excellence.
2. Understand the role of the community college counselor in providing transfer and career information.
3. One-year experience counseling services to community college students.
4. One-year experience teaching counseling related courses.
5. Experience in learning communities like Umoja, Puente, PRE-STEM, and International Student Programs.
6. Experience in program development, implementation and evaluation.
7. Experience in counseling curriculum development.
8. Experience providing services to multi-ethnic and underrepresented students.
9. Experience working with counseling programs and services.
10. Experience with computers and ability to use software and technology related to counseling.
11. Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and group communication skills.
12. Ability to work with detailed articulation information.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, service on district and/or college committees, and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Instructors also have the opportunity to participate in campus extra-curricular activities.
1. Indoor, office environment.
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
1. Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
2. Vision sufficient to read various materials.
3. Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
4. Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
5. Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
6. Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
7. Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
1. A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/
*In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
2. A cover letter detailing your background and experience, skills, and abilities as they relate to the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position.
3. A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our Applicant Information webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
$66,539.00 - $109,280.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Full-time, Tenure-track, 11-months per year
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
This position will become Open Until Filled after the initial Closing Date. Any complete applications received while the position is Open Until Filled will be reviewed by the hiring committee only upon committee request.
To apply, visit https://fhda.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/360?c=fhda