Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
If you'd like, Academic Keys can email you similar job openings. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
Search for University Jobs in Community Colleges
Professor of Sign Language and Interpreting (Full-time, Tenure-track)
Mt. San Antonio College
Professor of Sign Language and Interpreting (Full-time, Tenure-track)
Posting Number: F-025-2022
Department: Sign Language
Division: Humanities & Social Sciences
Salary: Initial placement $73,368 - $109,493
Open Date: 12/15/2022
Initial Screening Date: 03/17/2023
Open Until Filled Yes
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
Our Mission of the Sign Language and Interpreting Department is to inspire students and to provide a brave space for students to learn a foundation of skills and knowledge necessary to interpret languages and cultures among diverse signing and non-signing populations while cultivating students' professional dispositions: equity mindedness, ethical decision making, interpersonal skills, lifelong learning, and world knowledge.
In addition to teaching the tentative list of courses below, duties include communicating effectively, prioritizing students, and following through in an organized manner. The unique expectations of this position are:
- To coordinate Perkins funded mentoring program for interpreting students
- To oversee outcomes are met for the Strong Workforce grant
- Review curriculum every two years
- Teach interpreting courses: Principles of Interpreting, skills interpreting classes levels 1-4, and elective courses such as Performing Arts Interpreting and Video Relay Service Interpreting
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach courses in the disciplines for which the candidate meets Minimum Qualifications or the equivalent.
- Teach assigned courses in accordance with course outline of record.
- Instruct and support students with diverse backgrounds utilizing culturally relevant pedagogy, careful preparation of course materials, effective teaching methods including for online instruction, informed critical feedback on assignments and discussions, student learning outcomes, and support a philosophy of instruction focusing on critical thinking and analysis.
- Maintain scheduled office and campus hours and participate in department/division meetings and committees.
- Perform related duties as assigned, including timely compliance with administrative responsibilities and College, division, and department policies.
- Late afternoon and/or evening assignments may be required as part of the regular contract.
- Effective written communication with students.
- Commitment to educating a racially and socioeconomically diverse student population.
- Participate in departmental and college governance activities through committee service and/or other appropriate activities to maintain and improve the instructional program and to provide service to the college.
- In close cooperation with other discipline faculty, participate in the design, evaluation, revision, and development of culturally relevant curriculum, courses, and/or degrees.
- Coordinate Perkins and Strong Workforce Funding
- Teach interpreting theory and skills courses as well as electives such as Performing Arts Interpreting and Video Relay Services
- Participate in curriculum development, program advisory board, learning outcome development and assessment.
- Serve on college committees as necessary to maintain and improve instructional programs.
- Participate in appropriate professional development activities and remain current on relevant industry trends as they relate to current and future curriculum development.
A. The minimum of one of the following awarded/conferred from a regionally accredited institution:
- Any Bachelors degree and two (2) full-time equivalent years of professional experience directly related to the faculty members teaching assignment; OR
- Any Associates degree and six (6) full-time equivalent years of professional experience directly related to the faculty members teaching assignment; OR
- The equivalent (please request an equivalency review in the application);OR
- California Community College credential, "Valid for Life" (no longer issued), authorizing service as an instructor in the appropriate discipline; refer to Ed Code 87355 (If meeting qualifications with this credential, a copy of the valid lifetime credential must be submitted with the application.);
B. Commitment to the community college goals/objectives of providing quality programs and services for students with diverse abilities and interests; personal qualities to work effectively and sensitively in a multicultural environment; awareness and commitment to the special needs of non-traditional students.
License(s) & Other Requirements:
The incumbent may periodically be required to get to a variety of locations. If operating a vehicle, employees must have the ability to secure and maintain a valid California drivers license.
Health & Welfare:
Mt. San Antonio College offers a competitive and excellent benefits package providing medical, dental, and vision benefits for eligible employees and their dependents. Lifetime medical benefits are also available for eligible retirees.
The College contributes $23,766.84 toward annual premiums for medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage.
Candidates not holding the stated required qualifications who are requesting consideration based on an equivalency, will be asked to complete the equivalency related questions included in the application.
Conditions of Employment:
The person holding this position is required to be present on Mt. San Antonio Colleges campus to perform all essential duties and responsibilities.
This is a full-time, tenure-track, 10-month contract position that begins in the 2023-24 academic year. Placement on the salary schedule is based on formal education, full-time and/or part-time teaching, and related work experience, up to a maximum placement at step 9.
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live scan services shall be borne by the candidate.
Notice to all prospective employees - The person holding this position is considered:
- A mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Administrative Procedure 3518, titled Child Abuse Reporting, as a condition of employment; and
- An employee with Actual Knowledge under Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 and is required to report to the Colleges Title IX Coordinator all relevant details reported to them about an incident of alleged sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Mt. San Antonio Community College Annual Security Report is available here: https://www.mtsac.edu/safety/pdf/asr-final-2021.pdf.
PHYSICAL ABILITIES Ability to: 1) Work at a desk and in meetings of various configurations; 2) Possess digital dexterity to operate instructional equipment; 3) Read printed matter and computer screens; 4) Communicate so others will understand a normal conversation; 5) Hear and understand speech; 6) Bend, twist, stoop, and reach; 7) Lift, push, pull and carry up to 20 pounds.
A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to each required link. Assistance with the online application process is available through Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
DO NOT include photographs or any personal information (e.g. D.O.B, place of birth, etc.) on your application or supporting documents.
LONG DISTANCE TRAVEL FOR INTERVIEWS: Should you be invited to an interview, please contact our office to discuss an accommodation option if attending the interview would require you to travel in excess of 150 miles one way from your residence.
THE MT. SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE DISTRICT WILL NOT SPONSOR ANY VISA APPLICATIONS.
First Review of Applications: Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; however, applications submitted by 11:59 p.m. (PT) on the above listed Initial Screening Date are assured consideration.
Applicants must submit all of the following materials online, unless otherwise noted, at the Mt. SAC Employment Website to be considered for this position:
- A Mt. San Antonio College online application.
- A cover letter describing how the applicant meets the required education and experience.
- A detailed resume that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position.
- College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree are required and must be submitted with the online application by all applicants, including current or former employees of the college to demonstrate that the required educational qualifications are met. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.
- OPTIONAL: Up to three letters (3) of recommendation that reflect relevant experience (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation or any of the required documents).
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline. Accredited evaluation agencies can be found on the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services Website.
1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399
Phone: (909) 274-4225
A committee will evaluate applications taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities. Interviews may include a writing sample, presentation, teaching demonstration, and/or performance test. The committee will recommend finalists to the President/CEO and/or Vice President of Instruction/Student Services for a second interview. The number of vacancies is dependent on student enrollment, College resources and needs, and Board of Trustees approval. The starting date will be determined following Board approval and receipt of live scan clearance.
Confidential Letters of Reference Instructions:
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure all required and optional documents are attached by no later than 11:59 PM PT of the initial screening date shown on the job posting.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be guaranteed consideration, it is the applicants responsibility to ensure that all required materials are received before the initial screening date and time indicated on the job posting. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. All application materials will become College property, will not be returned, and will not be copied. Please visit our employment website at Mt. SAC Employment Website to complete and submit your application for this position.
We value diversity in all aspects of the human condition. We pursue equity by reevaluating how we empower each person to achieve their success.
The District, as part of our Vision, "promotes a climate of respect and authentic engagement. We are culturally responsive to the needs of our diverse student body. We strive to increase and sustain equitable outcomes for all students. We recruit and retain quality employees who are reflective of our students and the community we serve, in addition to providing all personnel with equity and diversity training."
The District is a proud Chicanx/Latinx, and Hispanic-Serving Institution, Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution, and Minority Serving Institution, serving over 30,858 students based on Fall 2021 stats.
The student population is as follows:
- by ethnicity - 58% Latinx, 9.45% White, 18.39% Asian, 3.58% Filipino, 0.22% Pacific Islander, 3.38% Black/African American, 0.16% American Indian, 2.55% two or more races and 4.28% unknown;
- by gender - 56.09% Female, 41.29% Male, 0.35% Non-Binary, 2.27% unspecified;
- and by age - 29.07% ages 19 or younger, 29.88% ages 20-24, 12.8% ages 25-29, 7.01% ages 30-34, 4.32% ages 35-39, 5.43% ages 40-49,11.48% ages 50 and older.
The current employee population is as follows:
- by ethnicity - 35% Latinx, 32% White, 16% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, 3% Two or More Races, 8% unknown;
- by gender - 56.06% Female, 43.13% Male, 0.81% unspecified;
- and by age - 3.94% ages 20-29, 19.46% ages 30-39, 30.21% ages 40-49, 46.39% ages 50 and older.
The District works to create an inclusive environment that provides a safe-haven for international students, veterans, re-entry students, LGBTQIA+ students, and students of various learning styles regardless of citizenship status.
We are committed to hiring Faculty that understands how cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial, and human understanding; and provides positive role models for all students.
The College is an equal opportunity employer. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from ethnic and racial minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam-era veterans. No person shall be denied employment because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (gender), age, sexual orientation, or the perception that a person has one or more of these characteristics.
Conflict of Interest:
Mt. San Antonio College employees and the Board of Trustees members shall not engage in any employment or activity that is inconsistent with, incompatible with, or in conflict with Mt. San Antonio Colleges Administrative Procedures (AP 2710 Conflict of Interest, AP 2712 Conflict of Interest Codes).
To apply, visit https://hrjobs.mtsac.edu/postings/10166
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |