Counselor, Apprenticeship Program (Categorically Funded) District Office
State Center Community College District
Closing Date: 6/20/2019 at 11:55 PM
The ideal candidate will share State Center Community College District's commitment to empowering our colleges in their efforts to promote exemplary educational opportunities and to provide safe, inclusive, and supportive learning environments leading to student success and global competitiveness which will transform our region.
The State Center Community College District includes three colleges and multiple centers. The district employs over 3,100 faculty & staff, enrolls nearly 60,000 students & covers more than 5,743 square miles spanning several counties, serving approximately 1.7 million people and 22 unified and high school districts in urban and rural territories.
Under the Direction of the District Dean of Workforce and Adult Education at the State Center Community College District Office, the counselor will be responsible for:
- Recruiting, matriculating, orienting, enrolling;
- Scheduling of workshops and apprenticeship committee meetings;
- Matriculating activities as it pertains to apprenticeship;
- Collaborating with apprenticeship program manager regarding program needs;
- Assisting project director on California Apprenticeship Initiative (CAI) grants;
- Connecting with interested industry partners to establish workshops for district-wide college application submission;
- Explaining the apprenticeship program with each incoming apprentice, while emphasizing obligations to their employer, the Apprenticeship Program and SCCCD;
- Developing and updating Student Educational Plans (SEPs) for new and returning apprentices;
- Scheduling all counseling appointments with apprentices at various industry locations;
- Explaining academic probation with apprentices and how it effects the delay towards journeyman status;
- Explaining On the Job Training (OJT);
- Monitoring student progress through comprehensive electronic data systems;
- Ability to develop and maintain counseling notes in Datatel, SARS, or similar electronic record keeping software in a timely and effective manner;
- Collaborating with district-wide instructional administrative assistants and their deans of instruction to schedule class sections for each semester;
- Collaborating with the Coordinator, Apprenticeship Training to utilize standards established by the State Division of Apprenticeship Standards as the guide for the academic semester;
- Connecting and collaborating with industry managers, providing them with current information on established courses for each semester;
- Communicating effectively with faculty, staff, administration, and students;
- Establishing meetings with our industry partners to update them on their apprentice's/student's status (e.g,. attendance, work in progress, any potential academic infractions);
- Updating and working collaboratively with the Coordinator, Apprenticeship Program as needed;
- Attending meetings for the Coordinator, District Apprenticeship Program as the LEA (Local Education Agency); and
- Fulfilling other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
This position is assigned to the Apprenticeship Program at the District Office, but will be assigned tasks at other State Center Community College District sites. Assignments may include extended days including evenings, Saturdays, on-line or off-campus site visits such as manufacturing facilities and Joint Apprenticeship Committee meetings.
- Masters in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy or marriage, family and child counseling;
- A valid California Community College Credential;
- The equivalent education and/or experience (requires an equivalency).
All candidates must have evidence of responsiveness to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice within the classroom.
A bachelors degree in one of the listed degrees and a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) is an alternative qualification for this discipline).
Conditions of Employment:
- Cross cultural counseling experience;
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of the challenges encountered by incumbent workers;
- Demonstrated experience working with multicultural/diversity counseling issues;
- Understanding of the apprenticeship model;
- Demonstrated experience emphasizing the benefits of apprentice counseling services to local manufacturing employers;
- Demonstrated experience matriculating apprentices off-campus;
- Demonstrated experience providing orientation and general counseling services to participants of an apprenticeship program;
- Comfortable entering manufacturing facilities with loud noises and dirty environments;
- Demonstrated experience handling sensitive apprentice academic challenges;
- Demonstrated experience providing counseling guidance in apprenticeship work processes and standards;
- Experience counseling apprentices on certificates and degree programs;
- Familiarity of SCCCD district-wide CTE Programs;
- Experience teaching counseling courses, such as college life management, academic success and introduction to college;
- Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusions of these groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and outcomes;
- Willingness to examine and remediate ones instructional and relational practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students;
- Experience and skill with addressing issues of equity;
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
- Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals.
177 - 181 duty days per year contingent upon funding.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is $55,650 $83,782 based on education and experience. A doctoral stipend of $2,082 is available. In addition, the District offers an attractive fringe benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee and dependents, and life insurance. Employees are also members of the California State Teachers Retirement System (CalSTRS).
Applications will be screened by Human Resources for completeness and to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement.
From the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and who have submitted all the required documents by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement, a selection committee will review the candidates who are best qualified based on the minimum and desirable qualifications then determine who will be invited to interview.
The selection committee will rate responses to the interview questions, teaching demonstration, and writing prompt (if applicable). Based on this rating, a small number of applicants will be selected as the recommended candidates. These candidates will be forwarded to the District Dean of Workforce and Adult Education and Vice Chancellor of Educational Services and Institutional Effectiveness for final interviews.
A hiring recommendation will be made by the College President and forwarded to the Board of Trustees of State Center Community College District for final approval.
State Center Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. It is our pledge to treat all applicants fairly and equitably in the recruitment and selection process. We endeavor to be a service-minded organization and respond to the needs of our applicants.
For more information, contact the Academic Human Resources Office, 1525 E. Weldon Avenue, Fresno, California, 93704, (559) 243-7100. For information on State Center Community College District, visit our website at www.scccd.edu. Please refer to Position No. 1526.
Submission of application and related materials is the applicants responsibility and must be submitted through the districts online applicant portal. The District reserves the right to re-advertise or to delay indefinitely the filling of a position if it is deemed that the applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available. All application materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.
This is a full-time, categorically funded position.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.scccd.edu