Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
- Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
*Commitment to Equity and Inclusion*_
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and under represented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
As an open access and low-cost institution, ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds of our students. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC’s faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:
Specialist, Student Life
Job Description Summary:
To plan, organize, and implement Student Life programs, events, and initiatives on assigned campus.
Description of Duties and Tasks
1) Serves as first contact with students and district and community partners in assigned Student Life campus office. Meets and greets students, provides information about programs and events, promotes and assists student involvement in programs and activities.
2) Supports campus Student Life programming initiatives; co-advises, trains, and assists in the leadership development of student leaders, student organizations, and programming areas including student clubs, organizations, committees, student-related special events, and award programs.
3) Provides clerical support for the Student Life Office, performs word processing, maintains databases and files, tracks data, budgets, and expenditures, schedules appointments, orders supplies and equipment, processes the mail, answers the phone, compiles information for reports, and creates posters and fliers.
4) Oversees activities of the campus Student Life area and may oversee work of hourly employees.
5) Coordinates campus programs and activities, including making arrangements for food delivery, facility use, security, and special equipment; event set up and clean up; parking arrangements; technical requirements; staffing, and other services. Attends events and provides on-site assistance.
6) Coordinates student travel for the campus including reservations, driving, chaperoning, and attending travel events, and facilitating on-site workshops.
7) Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with other Austin Community College (ACC) departments, faculty, staff, students, visitors, and campus groups.
8) Works collaboratively with other Student Services areas and Instructional Units.
9) Regularly travels within the ACC serving district for meetings, training, purchasing, food distribution, etc.
- Office procedures and practices.
- Customer service techniques.
- Planning and organizing events.
- Basic budget management.
- Maintaining an established, yet variable, work schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through.
- Entering data, maintaining files, and performing other clerical duties.
- Contributing as a team member and assisting with the planning, organization, and implementation of events, activities, and programs as a part of a committee and individually.
- Providing timely assistance and information to other ACC departments, faculty, staff, students, visitors, and campus groups.
- Performing complex tasks and prioritizing multiple projects.
- Using independent judgment to plan, implement student development and co-curricular programs.
- Creating, composing, and editing written materials.
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
Required Work Experience
- One year related work experience which may include paid or unpaid internships. Related work experience less than 6 months in duration or 15 hours/week may also be counted.
Four years of related work experience may substitute for this education requirement. Applicants who substitute work experience to meet the education requirement must use additional related work experience to meet the years of "Required Work Experience" for this position. Please note that the college reserves the right to amend these terms of substitution at any time.
- Valid Texas Driver’s License and reliable transportation needed for local Austin area travel.
- Work is performed in a standard office or similar environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.
- * Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Salary Range $32,448 – $44,449
Reports to Supervisor, Student Life
Number of Openings:
Job Posting Close Date:
April 5, 2022
*ACC Benefits Overview*_
Full-time faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the college are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and Administrators Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by federal law.
The Austin Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, political affiliation or other protected categories.
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under the Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.