Search for University Jobs in Community Colleges
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Initial Review Date: 5/25/22*
*This position will become Open Until Filled after the initial Review Date. Any complete applications received while the position is Open Until Filled will be reviewed by the hiring committee only upon committee request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Instructor, Astronomy, De Anza College.
Foothill - De Anza Community College District Mission Statement:
The mission of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District is student success. We are driven by an equity agenda and guided by core values of excellence, inclusion, and sustainability. Every member of our district contributes to a dynamic learning environment that fosters student engagement, equal opportunity, and innovation in meeting the various educational and career goals of our diverse students. We are committed to providing an accessible, quality undergraduate education dedicated to developing a broadly educated and socially responsible community that supports an equitable and just future for California.
De Anza College Mission Statement:
De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities; to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world.
De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college's Institutional Core Competencies:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
- Communication and expression
- Information literacy
- Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility
- Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental awareness
- Critical thinking
- Practice student-centered and equity-minded pedagogies and be intentional about using high-impact strategies that serves all students including underserved and disproportionately impacted students (i.e., Latino/a, African Ancestry, Filipino, Veterans, Foster Youth, Disabled Students, First-Generation Students, LGBTQ+, and low-income students)
- Advance student learning through dedicated, exemplary, equity-minded instruction in accordance with established curriculum;
- Teach community college Astronomy courses-Solar System Astronomy, Stellar Astronomy, and other related courses.
- Collaborate in the development and revision of curriculum;
- Design, prepare, and teach hands-on laboratory activities;
- Work in collaboration with planetarium staff to utilize planetarium systems for immersive pedagogy and to properly care for equipment.
- Perform standard duties expected of all faculty that include:
o Maintaining scheduled office hours
o Attending department and division meetings
o Keeping abreast of pedagogical and discipline research
o Pursuing professional growth activities
o Participate in activities that enhance the department and student experience
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Master's in physics, astronomy or astrophysics OR Bachelor's in physics or astronomy AND Master's in engineering, mathematics, meteorology or Geophysics OR the equivalent.
- Master's degree in Astronomy, Astrophysics, or Planetary Science
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
- Indoor, office environment.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision sufficient to read various materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position
- A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- A cover letter detailing your background and experience, skills, and abilities as they relate to the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position. (Please be sure to address all preferred qualifications that you meet, as your responses will be a primary source of information concerning your qualification for the position.)
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
- Completed Supplemental Questionnaire: In a single document, not to exceed 300 words, please respond to the following question: Why are you interested in teaching at a community college?
(if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our "Applicant Information" webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
$60,490.00 - $99,345.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per year
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
To apply, visit https://fhda.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/703?c=fhda
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |