Plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates instructional programs for an academic division. Plans and develops curriculum, programs, and services that meet the needs of a highly diverse urban student population.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Dean for an Instructional Division integrates and provides academic and administrative support to faculty and a diverse student population. The Dean requires the ability to direct and integrate the activities of an academic division and its related functions and services, to provide leadership over curriculum, faculty and support staff, and assure excellence in delivering higher education. The Dean also requires the ability to facilitate professional development, establish standards and assess performance of faculty members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Provides leadership for program development, plans for current and additions, modifications, and deletions to curriculum. Oversees and provides analysis of programs and multi-year instructional plans.
* Provides leadership over the delivery of curriculum that contributes to developing emerging learning college models and teaching innovations. Develops and reviews courses and consults with faculty on instructional pedagogies.
* Directs and prepares the schedule of classes and provides for proper staffing of classes, considering faculty preferences, mode of instruction, class size and facility usage while maximizing opportunities for students. Consults with faculty to design schedules that enhance attendance and meet the needs of students.
* Prepares or reviews documents for program and course development in working with faculty to produce accurate schedules, catalog information, and program publicity.
* Provides leadership for faculty and staff development and learning opportunities that enhance effectiveness in the teaching and learning processes. Provides leadership in the development and assessment of course, program, and learning outcomes.
* Directs development of division budgets and manages financial resources consistent with policy and sound financial controls. Advocates for resources to support departmental programs and opportunities and allocates resources among competing requests for funds.
* Utilizes effective strategies to manage enrollment; including but not limited to use of various technological software applications and trend data analytics to predict, plan, evaluate and schedule courses in order to improve efficiencies while increasing student success outcomes.
* Develops standards of faculty performance and conducts performance appraisals in compliance with District standards and contractual obligations. Monitors workload indicators for accuracy and balance.
* Communicates with faculty by holding regular meetings to facilitate planning and collegial decision-making, keep staff informed about issues and projects, and for information about the overall College instructional program.
* Working with Student Services and other programs, advises and counsels students on student-instructor and academic problems.
* Works cooperatively with other administrators and managers to coordinate programs and services across the curriculum to meet student needs. Resolves conflicts and issues within and among academic sections.
* Facilitates academic partnerships and maintains communications with Division faculty, faculty in feeder high schools and four-year transfer institutions.
* Encourages excellence in teaching. Orients new faculty and staff, determines needs for staff development, plans staff development activities, and contributes to recordkeeping for staff development accountability.
* Maintains up-to-date knowledge of new developments and innovations in community colleges and higher education. Recommends changes to maintain relevance of programs in the academic division and to meet student and community needs.
* Communicates with leaders in the private and public sectors and in educational agencies to determine needs for new courses and programs. Establishes advisory committees and other outreach as appropriate.
* Participates in strategic and long-range instructional planning for the College.
* Performs other related duties as assigned to support the objectives of the position.