Career Counselor (2020)
For full details and to apply, go to https://jobs.miracosta.edu/postings/1964
Type of Assignment:
MiraCosta Colleges Career Studies Department invites applications for one equity-minded, full-time, 195-day-per-year, tenure-track faculty position beginning in July 2020. Principal responsibilities include providing career assessment, exploration, and counseling to students; developing the curriculum for and teaching career & life planning courses; serving in a leadership capacity as the sole career counselor and career & life planning discipline expert for the district; collaborating with instructional and counseling faculty, Academic and Career Pathway (ACP) leads, and librarians to incorporate career exploration activities throughout the curriculum; developing an active collaboration strategy with First Year Forward (FYF) and Academic Success and Equity (ASE) program faculty and staff to provide career information and exploration to disproportionately impacted students; continually investigating, sampling, and evaluating various career exploration tools and determining which are most likely to lead to a high probability of success for students and how the tools may be incorporated into the education and career planning process; coordinating career exploration events, such as the districts Career & Major Fair, and assisting with Career Center events, such as professional panel presentations and the Job & Internship Fair; representing the career & life planning discipline and the Career Center at district, regional, statewide, and national meetings, events, and conferences and serving on relevant committees and workgroups, including but not limited to Re-envisioning the Student Experiences Enter the Path Workgroup and the Strong Workforce Programs Pathway Navigation. The person selected will share leadership roles with other full-time faculty in the Career Studies Department.
Initial salary placement is based on education and experience and ranges from $82,089.50 (class I, step 1 1.1080 time factor for 195 on-duty days per year) to $137,425.24 (class VI-doctorate, step 10 1.1080 time factor) on the 2019-2020 Annual Salary Schedule. To view the Full-Time Faculty Salary Schedule, please go to http://www.miracosta.edu/hr/downloads/2020-2021_FacultySalarySchedule.pdf
MiraCosta College offers a comprehensive package of benefits, which includes employer-paid medical, dental, and vision plans for employee and dependents; $100,000 employee life insurance; and other optional coverages. Faculty members are also covered under the California State Teachers Retirement System (CalSTRS).
To be eligible for this position, you must meet and provide evidence of the following minimum qualifications:
1. Masters degree in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy, or marriage, family and child counseling; OR
2. Masters degree in Education, Concentration: Counseling; Education: Counseling Option; Education: Counseling and Guidance Concentration; Education: Educational and Clinical Counseling; Education: Educational Counseling; Education: School Counseling; Guidance and Counseling; Marriage & Family Counseling; or Social Welfare (approved comparable degrees at MiraCosta College); OR
3. Bachelors degree in any of the majors listed in (1) above AND a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) license valid in California; OR
4. the equivalent. Applicants who do not possess the EXACT
degree major(s) required to meet the minimum qualifications must attach an equivalency narrative and supporting documentation at the time of application. Instructions can be found at
5. a fully satisfied, lifetime California Community College credential authorizing instruction/service in the appropriate subject matter; AND
6. demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff.
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled:
First Screening Date:
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing an educational environment that affirms and supports diversity in its faculty, staff, and administration, and promoting an environment of inclusion. The colleges commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is expressed in the policy found at http://www.miracosta.edu/officeofthepresident/board/downloads/3400BP-Diversity-Equity-Inclusion-Adopted4-6-16.pdf
The college was designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) in 2013. This designation reflects the great responsibility that MiraCosta has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a campus that exhibits its dedication to all students and faculty through offering robust, culturally-responsive events, including speaker series dedicated to heritage month events through the Social Justice and Equity Center.
Human Resources Contact Information:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 760.795.6854
About MiraCosta College
MiraCosta College is one of California's 115 public community colleges. The district operates two campus sites and two centers, and offers a robust online education program. Situated between San Diego and Los Angeles, MiraCosta College benefits from multicultural influences and cultural opportunities. Both students and staff enjoy a friendly atmosphere and the feeling that we are all here to help one another. MiraCosta College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. For more details, please visit our website at http://www.miracosta.edu/officeofthepresident/pio/aboutmcc.html