Search for University Jobs in Community Colleges
Human Resources Analyst (Confidential)
Human Resources Analyst (Confidential)
$6,346.00 - $7,976.00 Monthly
3/1/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
This position will close on March 1, 2020 at 11:59 PM (or when 150 applications are received, whichever occurs sooner).
Under direction of the Director of Human Resources, performs a variety of advanced, paraprofessional level administrative, technical and analytical duties in support of the District's human resources functions. Those functions include, but are not limited to, recruitment and selection, reclassification, workers' compensation, leaves and absences, training and development, health and welfare benefits, and information management.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Human Resources Analyst requires specialize knowledge of human resources operations to perform administrative, complex, technical and analytical duties in support of the District's human resources functions. This position provides a range of professional and operational support to employees and departments, and/or members of the general public in areas such as leaves, workers' compensation, employment, reclassifications, benefits, training, HRIS, or human resources administration. The Human Resources Analyst is distinguished from other human resource positions by its responsibility for providing professional level expertise in an assigned functional area within human resources. Job Duties
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for administering the leaves and absence programs for all Cerritos College employees from leave initiation through closure, including all appropriate communications and transactional updates related to the employee's HR record.
Knowledge and Skills
- Develops and sends applicable letters to employees detailing the status of their leave application and leave implications (i.e., pay, benefits, return to work, etc.)
- In consultation with the supervisor, coordinates and engages in the interactive process and accommodations as needed.
- Assesses and makes recommendations pertaining to return to work using physician documentation, departmental ability to comply with restrictions, and knowledge of the physical requirements of the existing job or alternate job.
- Maintains accurate records of employees on leaves, including keeping up with timelines and accurate communications.
- Assists in the coordination of worker's compensation programs according to established policy, rules, regulations, and collective bargaining agreements.
- Processes and provides timely notification and communication with employees and supervisors regarding worker's compensation claims as well as insurance carrier. Maintains records and assists employees to ensure effective use of benefits.
- Provides guidance to employees and managers in leave and workers' compensation policies, federal and state leave laws, and provisions covered under collective bargaining agreements.
- Documents all cases in the appropriate HR information management system.
- Works on problems of various scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of identifiable factors; exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Creates and presents complex ad hoc data analyses and reports, as appropriate to the area of expertise; identifies errors and deficiencies and makes process improvement recommendations.
- Conducts training sessions in HR related operations and procedures. Develops and conducts or participates in specialized presentations and training, as appropriate, covering specific operational and/or technical HR related information.
- Represents the department District-wide; participates in/on a variety of committees, teams, and meetings as assigned; may serve as a liaison to external agencies
- Performs research and analysis related to a variety of HR projects, including employee-employer relations matters, negotiations and collective bargaining agreements.
- Performs confidential research related to human resources issues; compiles and evaluates data and makes recommendations to appropriate individual(s).
- Performs data extracts, generates reports, and compiles information in support of management.
- Performs a variety of complex and difficult administrative support duties.
- Assists in the development and modification of operating policies, guidelines, procedures, systems, and documentation, as appropriate to the development of best practices within the department.
- Provides information where independent judgment, discretion, professionalism, and knowledge of policies, procedures, rules, regulations, and collective bargaining agreements are necessary.
- Provides advice and direction on a wide range of HR matters within the scope of work.
- Provides administrative support to the Reclassification process; prepares written reports and makes recommendations.
- Conducts market studies as directed.
- May work with hiring managers during the recruitment and selection process to provide comprehensive consultative support to assure successful advertising and recruitment efforts including assessing the viability of applicant pools.
- May conduct reference checks of finalist candidates.
- Answers correspondence and inquires within the scope of work independently.
- Receives complaints and refers individuals to the proper organizational area for resolution.
- Initiates the review and analysis of information and makes recommendations on system and process changes.
- Assist HR management as directed.
- Maintains currency of knowledge and skills related to the duties and responsibilities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Human Resources practices and operations.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and administer complex administrative systems and processes.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
- Strong computer skills, to include database management, word processing, creating spreadsheets, e-mail, and the internet.
- Knowledge of conflict resolution and mediation skills.
- Use of a personal computer for word processing, tabulating data on spreadsheets, desktop publishing, web updates, accessing and entering data onto relational databases, verifying numerical and demographic information, and entering information onto established data entry screens.
- Human relations/interpersonal skills to convey technical concepts to others, to deal with sensitive and confidential information, to give instructions, and to facilitate discussions with individuals via face to face, telephone or email communication.
- Math to compute sums, averages, ratios, products, and quotients.
- Language, grammar, and writing skills to prepare professional correspondence.
- Demonstrated ability to perform and complete a high volume of work assignments with speed and accuracy, work cooperatively with others and meet the public and employees with a high-level of professionalism.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times, handle personnel matters effectively, and handle employee and public personnel inquiries with sensitivity, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English usage, report writing and customer service techniques.
- Ability to apply a variety of laws, rules, policies and procedures related to human resources administration.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative-working relationships with those contacted during the course of work as well as experience working occasionally under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in using mainframe information systems (such as human resources information systems, and budget and finance systems to generate requisitions), as well as knowledge and proficiency in the utilization of standard office productivity software programs (e.g., MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint), personal computers, and other standard office equipment.
The following required physical abilities may be met with or without reasonable accommodations.
Licenses and Certificates
- Function indoors in an office environment engaged in work of primarily a sedentary nature.
- Sit, often for long periods of time, and move to campus locations on an occasional basis.
- Use visual acuity to read printed materials and microcomputer screen.
- Use hearing and speech to carry on conversations in person and over the phone.
- Retrieve work materials.
- Use manual and finger dexterity to write and keyboard at an acceptable rate and operate computer, and other office equipment, almost constantly requiring repetitive motions.
May require a valid driver's license.
Work is performed indoors where minimal safety considerations exist.
Conditions of Employment:
This is a full-time, 12-calendar month confidential position.
Hours of employment are Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Employment is to be effective as soon as possible following completion of the selection process.
Individual who is offered employment shall be required to obtain fingerprints for a criminal history clearance through the State Department of Justice and remit the required fee for processing the fingerprints, Federal Bureau of Investigation (no fee if obtained at Cerritos College Campus Police Station), produce an original social security card, and submit negative TB test results (must be within the past four years or within the last 60 days if not previously employed in a school district in California) before employment.
Proof of eligibility to work in the United States and signing of loyalty oath per Government Codes 3100-3109.
** Please note - the District does not provide for immigration sponsorships such as H1B Visas.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in human resources, public administration, business administration, or a related field, and 4-5 years of increasingly responsible human resource experience, including a minimum of one-year experience in leaves management, interactive process, and accommodations. Higher degree or certification in HR may substitute for years of experience. Sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, ethnic and disability backgrounds of community college employees and students.
Experience in a labor environment that involves bargaining units.
- Public sector and/or higher education experience is highly desirable.
- PHR, SPHR, or SHRM certification.
Transcripts and Foreign Degrees:
It is the applicant's responsibility to provide copies of all transcript(s) verifying all educational degree(s) and/or coursework required for the position.
A foreign transcript must be evaluated by a NACES certified agency. The web address is www.naces.org.
All qualifying educational degrees/training must be from regionally accredited colleges and/or universities.
Application materials must be submitted by the closing date.
Applicants who need special services or facilities due to disability in order to apply or interview for this position must notify Human Resources at the time of application or at least 72 hours prior to the closing date or date of a scheduled interview.
Special document must be included to be considered. Please respond to the following statement: The Human Resources Department serves a diverse campus community. In 500 words or less, please describe how, if you were hired for the HR Analyst position, your skills and abilities would contribute to and advance this effort.
Cerritos College is ranked 14th among the top 100 schools with the highest Hispanic enrollment in the United States by the United States Department of Education. Cerritos College serves as a comprehensive community college for southeastern Los Angeles County. Communities within the college's district include Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, La Mirada, Norwalk, and portions of Bell Gardens, Lakewood, Long Beach, Santa Fe Springs and South Gate. Cerritos College offers degrees and certificates in more than 180 areas of study in nine divisions. Enrollment currently averages 22,500 students. Visit Cerritos College online at http://www.cerritos.edu
The Human Resources Department strives to provide quality customer service to the District's constituent groups by recruiting qualified individuals, retaining valuable employees, administering benefits, mitigating risk, providing a safe work environment, and issuing policies and procedures that promote equity, diversity, and inclusion. These services are achieved through team-work in a collaborative, respectful, and innovative environment.
The Human Resources Department is composed of three HR Technicians, one Staff Development Assistant, one Administrative Assistant, three temporary support staff, two Directors, and the Vice President of HR. We are looking for a seasoned HR professional who is able to embrace our commitment to excellent customer service and continuous personal and departmental improvement. Required Documents:
2 Recommendation Letter(s)
Copy of Transcripts
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cerritosedu/jobs/2654005/human-resources-analyst-confidential
The District ensures that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity, and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of national origin, religion, age, sex or gender, race, color, medical condition, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or because he or she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. .
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |