Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
- Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
*Commitment to Equity and Inclusion*_
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and under represented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
As an open access and low-cost institution, ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds of our students. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC’s faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:
Adult Basic Education Instructor 5 (Temporary)
Job Description Summary:
Responsible for instruction in English as a Second Language (ESL)
*Description of Duties and Tasks*Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Instructs in ESL
- Prepares student monthly reports.
- Maintains student daily records, monitoring, and recording student progress using formal and informal methods.
- Participates in mandated teacher training sessions.
- Develops classroom environment conducive to optimal student learning with a balance of structure and care.
- Completes annual professional development requirements established by the Texas Workforce Commission.
Additional Job Specific Duties
- Assist students with digital literacy.
- Develop syllabus for each class that includes related content standards.
- Record and log student class attendance on a timely basis into Adult Education Google systems.
- Assist with student enrollment events as available.
*Knowledge*Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of effective teaching techniques.
- Able to plan creative, relevant lessons that match student learning needs.
- Effective classroom management and individual communication techniques.
- Knowledge of virtual conferencing tools such as WebEx, Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, and/or Google Meet.
- Knowledge of ACC student systems such as ACC email, claiming your ACCeID, and online services.
- Growth mindset and its application in the classroom.
*Skills*Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule, including evening and/or weekends.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills including tact and diplomacy.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Ability to follow policies and procedures.
- Ability to assists students with digital literacy and ACC online tools such as ACC email, ACCeID, and online services.
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications.
- Google Office Suite.
- Video conferencing tools such as WebEx, Google Meet, and/or Blackboard Collaborate Ultra.
Required Work Experience
- One year teaching experience in adult education or in a related non-traditional setting.
Preferred Work Experience
- Teaching in an online environment.
- Previous work experience in higher education setting.
- Master’s degree in Adult Education.
*Special Requirements*Licenses/Certifications; Other
- Valid Texas Driver’s License and reliable transportation for local Austin area travel.
- Must be available to teach evenings and weekends.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- Trained in specialized curriculum such as Wilson Reading System, Neuhaus, and/or Making Math Real.
- ACC systems such as Ellucian Colleague.
- Work is performed in a standard office environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting and moving of objects up to 10 pounds.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Number of Openings:
Job Posting Close Date:
March 24, 2022
*ACC Benefits Overview*_
Full-time faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the college are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and Administrators Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by federal law.
The Austin Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, political affiliation or other protected categories.
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under the Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.