Plans, organizes, and directs the academic, clinical, and administrative elements of the Nursing School.
Distinguishing Career Features:
The Associate Dean for the Nursing School is an academic management position that administers the programs and courses offered culminating in certificates, degrees, and the pathways to licensure. These programs and curriculum are supported with clinical simulations and practicum. The Associate Dean is responsible for complying with the guidelines and criteria established by the Board of Registered Nursing and national League of Nursing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Plans, organizes, and directs Nursing education as well as closely related disciplines. Assures compliance with BRN, NLN, and CSHA, and participates in developing policies and procedures related to the accreditation of these and other healthcare programs.
* Oversees the recruitment, selection, admission, and academic progression of students in the program. Monitors satisfactory academic progression and reviews students' records for advancement to higher levels of nursing education, e.g., LVN to RN.
* Establishes standards for academic and clinical performance for permanent and adjunct faculty. Assures that faculty maintains required licensure and clinical credentials.
* Facilitates the development of revised and new curriculum and program elements that stay current with State requirements for nursing practice.
* Directs and participates in the preparation and assignment of class schedules and teaching assignments. Supervises and evaluates performance of assigned staff and monitors the credentials and teaching load of faculty.
* Initiates, maintains, and renews articulation agreements with universities. Serves as a liaison between the college and health care industry serving the community for planning, scheduling, and coordinating clinical facility use agreements.
* Develops, assembles, and recommends annual budgets by researching, reviewing, and analyzing historic information and projecting future needs. Controls and authorizes expenditures within the limitations of approved budgets.
* Provides leadership for program review including process improvement and program development, systematic assessment of student progress and learning outcomes.
* Directs and participates in preparation of a variety of narrative and statistical reports, records, and files related to Nursing and healthcare practice and program accreditation.
* Conducts classroom lectures and discussions on nursing theory, practicum, and laboratory simulations.
* Initiates and participates in sourcing and preparing grant proposals. Administers grant awards.
* Collaborates with faculty within and outside of Nursing, to advance the program and blend other allied health care education and training.
* Attends continuing education and conferences to maintain licensure and provide creativity and innovation to the Nursing Program.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.