Orange Coast College (OCC) is seeking a full-time, equity-minded, tenure-track faculty member in Film Production and Immersive Media commencing with the 2019 Fall semester. The primary teaching assignment involves all areas of production classes including Film Production, Post-Production, Visual Effects and Immersive Media Technologies such as Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality and Motion Capture. This assignment also includes curriculum and program development, participation in department, division, college committees, and participatory governance activities assuming leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole; extensive on-going collaboration across disciplines and the leveraging of student support resources; and participation in ongoing professional development.
The assignment may be day, evening, weekend, online, hybrid, or off campus and is subject to change as needed. The ideal candidate for this position embraces the overall mission of Orange Coast College and the Coast Community College District, with a clear, focused commitment to supporting individualized student and employee goals through the work of the Film & Television Department and our new Immersive Media Program.
The Film and Television Department shares OCC's commitment to equitable outcomes; inclusive practices; and racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. We currently enroll 21,498 students, the majority of whom are from racially minoritized populations: 35% of OCC's students are Latinx, 2% are African-American, 23% are Asian, fewer than 1% are Native American, 31% are White, and 6% identify as multiracial. Faculty have the opportunity to enhance their classroom methods during two professional development days during the academic year, which include learning sessions like "Digital Accessibility", "Basic Skills: Helping students help themselves" and "Taking a skills-based approach to teaching college students" and new faculty also receive training monthly as a cohort in the New Faculty Academy. Student-centered activities that support OCC's mission include campus-wide student success projects funded by the Office of Student Equity; partnerships with local Hispanic-serving four year institutions; active programs that work to improve the academic achievement of racially minoritized and/or disenfranchised students, such as PUENTE and UMOJA; Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) and Disabled Student Program and Services (DSPS).
One of the seven departments in the in the division of Visual & Performing Arts, the Film & Television Department offers a comprehensive curriculum of Film, Television and Immersive Media courses. Orange Coast College's Film program combines state-of-the-art facilities with a passionate and knowledgeable faculty and staff, resulting in a department that is a leader in film education in Southern California. All students have to provide is their imagination.
Our Students are given rigorous training and hands-on experience in a top-notch production facility that includes a fully-digital, tapeless, High Definition-TV studio with a computer-controlled lighting system, a 4K high resolution screening room with industry-standard audio recording and mixing systems, 5K/4K high resolution cameras and professional lighting, location audio, an immersive media lab, and more. The department also guides students to internship opportunities through the OCC Internship Academy.
The program is designed to give students two years of extensive theory and technical training in the basic skills required for employment in the film, video, television, immersive media and entertainment industries. Courses cover various subjects, such as writing, producing, directing, camera operation, lighting, sound, and editing. Our students regularly transfer to four-year universities, earn a degree or certificate or strengthen their skills for entrance into the workforce.
Examples of Duties: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Provide instruction in Film & Immersive Media in accordance with established course outlines.
* Provide leadership in the development and revision of Film & Immersive Media curriculum responsive to the students served.
* Participate in curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation; participate in and develop programs to measure student performance.
* Maintain current knowledge in the subject matter areas, including new immersive media technologies.
* Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics.
* Fulfill the professional responsibilities of a full-time faculty member including, but not limited to the following: teach all scheduled classes unless excused under provisions of Board Policy; follow the department course outlines; keep accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and progress; submit student grades in accordance to established deadlines; post and maintain scheduled office hours; participate in departmental meetings and college and/or district-wide activities and committees as assigned.
* The assignment may include day, evening, weekend, and online sections.