If you are a current Austin Community College employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
- Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and under represented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
As an open access and low-cost institution, ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds of our students. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:
Faculty, Head Librarian
Job Description Summary:
To manage and supervise Library Services faculty, staff, operations, budget, facility and resources of campus library, and to provide reference services and information literacy instruction services to students and faculty.
Multiple Positions Available: Round Rock Campus, Highland Campus and East View Campus.
Principal Responsibilities and Duties
1. Provides basic reference services, online services, and selective dissemination of information needed for students, faculty, administration, staff, and the community.
2. Participates in Library Services (LS) collection development.
3. Serves on the Library Leadership Team, and participates in the Library Services, Teaching and Learning Excellence (TLED), and college-wide committees and meetings.
4. Develops and maintains library policies, procedures, and services, and may coordinate college-wide library responsibilities; including reference, off-campus/extension services, information literacy, collection management, access services, library technology, and web presence.
5. Participates in subject specialty credentialing programs.
6. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues in the college, local, state, regional, and national library and academic communities.
7. Coordinates library activities with community agencies as appropriate.
8. Manage library services functions, including selection, supervision, development and evaluation of Library Services faculty and staff; the coordination of library functions and services with other library, TLED, campus and college activities and services.
9. Makes recommendations, reports, and actively participates in strategic planning, budget preparation, expenditure, and assessment. Gathers and reports data on Library Services functions and services.
10. Participates in facilities design, and management, and Library Services public relations.
11. Participates in the development and delivery of the LS information literacy instruction and library instructional program.
12. Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Dean, and/or Associate Vice President, TLED.
Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications, and knowledge of digital information resources, the internet, a knowledge of online, electronic resources and classroom or other current learning technologies for effective teaching to ensure student success at the community college level.
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution.
Licenses, Certifications, etc.
- Reliable transportation for travel in the Austin area - ACC District as required.
When you apply, you will need to upload the following documents to your application:
- Cover letter - Explain interest in the position.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume - Your most recently updated C.V. or Resume.
Official transcripts and/or certifications will need to be sent directly from your institution to:
ACC Highland Business Center
Attention: E.B. Breedlove, Employment Manager
5930 Middle Fiskville Road, Austin, TX 78752
Photocopies of transcripts and transcripts stamped "issued to student" are not accepted.
Criminal Background Check
Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all staff and faculty positions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty and staff.
- Work is routinely performed in a library setting.
- Able to push a fully loaded book cart (50lbs), and place and remove books from shelves.
- Occasional lifting of 30 pounds of books in a book carton or book bag.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing and pulling, and manual dexterity.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Multiple Locations Available
Round Rock Campus, Highland Campus, and East View Campuses
Primary work location is subject to change. Work schedule may include remote or hybrid opportunities.
Number of Openings:
Job Posting Close Date:
July 15, 2022
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the college are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and Administrators Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by federal law.
The Austin Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, political affiliation or other protected categories.
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under the Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.