Orange Coast College (OCC) is seeking a 1-year, temporary, non-tenure-track, equity-minded faculty member in Culinary Arts commencing with the 2019 Fall semester. The primary teaching assignment involves all areas of Culinary Arts. This assignment also includes curriculum and participation in department, division, college committees, and participatory governance activities both within the department and in the institution as a whole; collaboration across disciplines and the leveraging of student support resources; and participation in ongoing professional development.
The assignment may be day, evening, weekend, online, hybrid, or off campus and is subject to change as needed. The ideal candidate for this position embraces the overall mission of Orange Coast College and the Coast Community College District, with a clear, focused commitment to supporting individualized student and employee goals through the work of Culinary Arts.
The Consumer and Health Sciences division shares OCC's commitment to equitable outcomes; inclusive practices; and racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. We currently enroll 21,498 students, the majority of whom are from racially minoritized populations: 35% of OCC's students are Latinx, 2% are African-American, 23% are Asian, less than 1% Native American, 31% are White, and 6% are multiracial. Faculty have the opportunity to enhance their classroom methods during two professional development days during the academic year, which include learning sessions like "Digital Accessibility", "Basic Skills: Helping students help themselves" and "Taking a skills-based approach to teaching college students". Student-centered activities that support OCC's mission include campus-wide student success projects funded by the Office of Student Equity; partnerships with local Hispanic Serving four year institutions; active programs that work to improve the academic achievement of racially minoritized students, such as PUENTE and UMOJA; Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) and Disabled Student Program and Services (DSPS).
Examples of Duties: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Instructional assignment in quantity professional food preparation and specialized culinary skills; may include lecture and lab instruction in basic cooking methods, pantry, garde manager, baking, hot food preparation, Culinary competition, banquet style service and cooking to order in the Captain's Table Restaurant.
* Responsible for ensuring assigned culinary labs have needed food and supplies by submitting requisitions for classes with the General Manager of Instructional Food Services in a timely manner. Ensure that all student prepared food is properly stored and accounted for upon completion of the lab. for the required food for daily assignments and food production.
* Conduct daily inspections at the end of each lab to ensure kitchen cleanliness and smooth lab transition.
* Ensure high levels of professionalism, sanitation, safety, and strict adherence to the department dress and uniform codes.
* Participate in the following campus meetings: department faculty/staff, Hospitality Area, CHS Division and CA and other Hospitality departments' advisory committee meetings.
* Participate in department extracurricular activities and fundraising events.
* Provide participation in the development and revision of the Culinary Arts curriculum as needed to meet the needs of both transfer and work-force bound students.
* Participate in curriculum evaluation; participate in and develop programs to measure student performance.
* Demonstrate an understanding of/desire to learn the needs of the Culinary Arts workforce in Orange County and develop appropriate industry partnerships for curriculum enhancement.
* Participate with Career Fairs both on and off campus. Market program to new students and professionals in the community.
* Maintain current knowledge in the Culinary Arts and Baking and Pastry subjects and related matter areas.
* Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics.
* Participate in industry CA and B&P advisory committees. Use economic needs assessment, and other objective data analysis methods to improve program and curriculum.
* Participate as required to improve programs, course offerings, create a positive learning environment, and achieve college goals and objectives.
* Maintain contact with and involvement in professional organizations.
* Development of course syllabi and content to follow and adhere to Course Outlines of Record. and revision of the curriculum as needed.
* Work with Program Coordinator to assist with the advisement of students.
* Fulfill the professional responsibilities of a full-time faculty member including, but not limited to the following: develop and teach all scheduled courses, unless excused under provisions of Board Policy; follow the department course outlines; keep accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and progress (through Canvas or the current Online Instruction Platform adopted); post and maintain office hours; participate in departmental meetings, college and/or district-wide activities and committees as assigned.
* The assignment may include day, evening and weekend classes.