Search for University Jobs in Community Colleges
FT Cosmetology Instructor (2 Positions)
FT Cosmetology Instructor (2 Positions)
Salary: $75,534.00 - $121,920.00 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: FT Cosmetology-23
Closing: 3/7/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Norwalk, CA
Department: FT Cosmetology-23
Equity and Diversity
The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal opportunity employment. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation in any of its policies, procedures or practices. In fact, the college encourages applications from all segments of qualified people.
This position will close on March 7, 2023 at 11:59 PM (or when 150 applications are received, whichever occurs sooner).
Cerritos College is ranked 14th among the top 100 schools with the highest Hispanic enrollment in the United States by the United States Department of Education. Cerritos College serves as a comprehensive community college for southeastern Los Angeles County. Communities within the college's district include Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, La Mirada, Norwalk, and portions of Bell Gardens, Lakewood, Long Beach, Santa Fe Springs, and South Gate. Cerritos College offers degrees and certificates in more than 180 areas of study in nine divisions. Enrollment currently averages 20,000 students. Visit Cerritos College online at http://www.cerritos.edu.
The cosmetology department is one of six departments in the technology division and is part of the Applied Technology and Skilled Trades learning and career pathway. The department offers the cosmetology and esthetician tracks to our students. Our student's primary goal is generally to work in the trade and to obtain an Associate Degree. Our faculty prepare students for the California board of barbering and cosmetology exams. The position requires availability to teach during the day, in the evening, and on weekends.
Distinguishing Career Features
This is a 10-month tenure-track contract position.
ALL FACULTY SHALL:
- Maintain currency with current information, concepts, laws and ideas in their disciplines and with best practices in teaching and learning.
- Check mailbox, voicemail, and e-mail regularly.
- Complete the checkout form before leaving campus at the end of the academic term.
- Maintain student confidentiality as required by regulation and Board Policy 5040 titled Student Records and Directory Information.
ALL FULL-TIME FACULTY SHALL:
- Participate in committee work, student activities, and shared governance activities as appropriate.
- Attend first-year and second-year staff development workshops during the first and second years of employment at Cerritos College.
- Attend department and division meetings.
- Attend commencement ceremonies.
- Assist the Department Chairperson and Instructional Dean in unit planning, budget preparation, and inventory.
- Develop and implement a "Flex Plan" as required by state regulations.
- All full-time faculty who are assigned classes shall: Post and maintain at least three scheduled office hours per week on at least three different days, including the final examination period. Office hours may not be scheduled between 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday.
ALL FACULTY WHO ARE ASSIGNED CLASSES SHALL:
- Teach all assigned classes unless excused under provisions of Board Policy.
- Teach all assigned classes for all scheduled minutes. In cases of necessary absence from class, notify the Instructional Dean or designee, or if unavailable, the Office of Academic Affairs in advance and have plans prepared so that a substitute, if assigned, can maintain continuity of course content.
- Teach courses in accordance with the course outlines of record.
- Provide opportunities for students to be aware of their progress.
- Submit a copy of the syllabus for each class to the Division Office.
- Keep accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and academic progress and submit them to appropriate offices by the published deadlines.
- Submit end-of-session grades, including supporting documentation, and attendance reports by the published deadlines.
- Submit required information about first-day, no-show students by the published deadlines.
- Submit textbook order information by the published deadlines. If the textbook is electronic or includes an electronic course pack, these conditions must be met:
1. Tests and exams must be available to the student without charge.
2. The text and course pack must be available to students with disabilities.
3. The publisher must grant read-only access to designated college staff for purposes of evaluation of course materials.
4. The text must be downloadable or printable.
If these four conditions are not met, the electronic textbook cannot be used.
- Meet all classes during the final examination period.
- Give final examinations at the scheduled time unless approval to do otherwise is granted by the Office of Academic Affairs or its designee.
- Keep all corrected final examination papers for at least one year following the close of the semester or summer term.
- Maintain a safe learning environment in classrooms, laboratories, and other instructional spaces.
- Allow the instructional manager and/or Instructional Dean, upon request, to review any assignments given during the semester.
Any bachelor's degree or higher and two years of professional experience, or any associate degree and six years of professional experience. The professional experience required must be directly related to the faculty member's teaching assignment.
Understanding of and sensitivity to meeting the needs of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic background of the student, community, and employee population.
State of California Cosmetology License
State of California Esthetician License
Community College teaching experience
Recent professional experience in industry (in the last 5 years)
600-hour cosmetology instructor training certification
Physical requirements may be met with or without reasonable accommodations. Requires ambulatory ability to move to various office and classroom-type locations. Ability to operate classroom equipment, including computer, and provide instruction and make presentations. Ability to communicate effectively with individuals or groups to carry on complex or routine conversations. Requires the ability to lift, push, and pull objects of medium weight (less than 30 lbs.) on an occasional basis.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Salary rate is: $75,534- $121,920/annual.
Health and welfare benefits include District contribution for medical/dental/vision benefits and employee life insurance ($50,000). (Cash-in-lieu option available on medical insurance.)
Participation in the State Teachers' Retirement System.
Conditions of Employment
This is a tenure-track contract position. Contract will be for 10 school months for the academic year beginning fall semester 2023
Participation in a pre-service orientation and/or probationary in-service training is required.
Please note: Per Board Policy 7210 "A bachelor's degree or the equivalent, from an accredited educational institution, shall be the minimum degree requirement for obtaining tenure as a faculty member in the District. The Board of Trustees reserves the right to determine whether a faculty member shall be granted tenure."
Individual who is offered employment shall be required to obtain fingerprints for a criminal history clearance through the State Department of Justice and remit the required fee for processing the fingerprints, produce an original social security card, and submit negative TB test results (must be within the past four years or within the last 60 days if not previously employed in a school district in California) before employment.
Proof of eligibility to work in the United States and signing of loyalty oath per Government Codes 3100-3109.
Board Policy 2905 will require mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations as a condition of employment. The District requires all employees to submit proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, as defined by the CDC. Full policy details can be found on the website; Cerritos College - Chapter 2 - Board of Trustees. Employees may submit requests for medical or religious exemptions to the vaccine mandate for consideration. Details are available on the District's COVID-19 webpage
** Please note - the District does not provide for immigration sponsorships such as H1B Visas.
Application materials must be submitted by the closing date.
Applicants who need special services or facilities due to disability in order to apply or interview for this position must notify Human Resources at the time of application or at least 72 hours prior to the closing date or date of a scheduled interview.
It is the applicant's responsibility to provide copies of all transcript(s) verifying all educational degree(s) and/or coursework required for the position. Transcripts must be from regionally accredited institutions. A foreign transcript must be evaluated by a NACES certified agency. The website address is www.naces.org.
Following the closing date, application materials will be evaluated by a selection committee. Candidates selected for further consideration will be limited to those applicants in the competitive group who best meet the qualifications for the position. Interviews will then be conducted by the selection committee, and finalists will be recommended for further consideration by the President-Superintendent for final selection and recommendation for employment. The selection process may also include practical exercises (i.e., teaching demonstration and/or other written, technical, manipulative, or simulation exercises) to evaluate candidates' qualifications.
- Cover Letter
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (Written within one year)
- Transcripts (Must show all coursework completed and the conferral date of the degree)
- Current California Cosmetology License
- Letter of Professional/Occupational Experience (See Special Instructions to Applicants)
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Transcript 2 (Must show all coursework completed and the conferral date of the degree)
- Transcript 3 (Must show all coursework completed and the conferral date of the degree)
Letter of Professional/Occupational Experience means written confirmation of experience, issued and signed by a Human Resources or Payroll representative on company letterhead that attest the dates of employment, description of duties, and whether or not the employment was full-time. (If employment was less than full-time, include an accounting of the number of hours you were employed.)
If you were self-employed, include a statement, signed under penalty of perjury, detailing dates of employment, description of duties, and whether or not the employment was full-time. (If employment was less than full-time, include an accounting of the number of hours you were employed.) Further substantiation is required in writing by other person(s) having first-hand knowledge of your self-employment, such as your accountant, or major user of services.
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cerritosedu/jobs/3848678/ft-cosmetology-instructor-2-positions
The District ensures that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity, and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of national origin, religion, age, sex or gender, race, color, medical condition, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or because he or she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. .
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |