POSITION BACKGROUND: Orange Coast College (OCC) is seeking a full-time, equity-minded, tenure-track faculty member in Kinesiology commencing with the 2019 fall semester. The primary teaching assignment involves teaching Kinesiology degree and transferable classes in Introduction to Kinesiology, Exercise and Sport Psychology, Sport Management, Strength and Conditioning, Exercise physiology, professional activities, and athletic team classes related to football. This assignment also includes curriculum and program development, participation in department, division, college committees, and participatory governance activities assuming leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole; collaboration across disciplines and the leveraging of student support resources; and participation in ongoing professional development, including but not limited to division specific pedagogy and leadership training. .
The assignment may be day, evening, weekend, online, hybrid, or off-campus and is subject to change as needed. The ideal candidate for this position embraces the overall mission of Orange Coast College and the Coast Community College District, with a clear, focused commitment to supporting teaching and academic excellence, and individualized student and employee goals through the work of Kinesiology and Football.
The Kinesiology and Athletics department shares OCC's commitment to equitable outcomes; inclusive practices; and racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. We currently enroll 21,498 students, the majority of whom are from racially minoritized populations:35% of OCC's students are Latinx, 31% are White, 23% are Asian, 6% are multiracial, 2% are African-American, and less than 1% Native American. Faculty have the opportunity to enhance their classroom methods during two professional development days during the academic year, which include learning sessions like "Digital Accessibility" "Basic Skills: Helping Students Help Themselves," and "Taking a Skills-Based Approach to Teaching College Students." Student-centered activities that support OCC's mission include campus-wide student success projects funded by the Office of Student Equity; partnerships with local Hispanic Serving four-year institutions; active programs that work to improve the academic achievement of racially minoritized students, such as PUENTE and UMOJA; Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) and Disabled Student Program and Services (DSPS).
Examples of Duties: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Provide instruction in Kinesiology and Football in accordance with established course outlines.
* Recruiting, budget development and management, practice/game management, academic and social media supervision of student-athletes, public relations, and fundraising.
* Lead in all phases of coaching intercollegiate football at the community college level, including but not limited to the recruitment of quality college student-athletes; lead practice, competitions, and games; enforce team policies and rules as well as school policies and rules, fundraising and community involvement.
* Create, implement, and assess a recruitment plan with a focus on student-athletes from Orange County.
* Create, implement, and assess a player development program which includes improvement in the whole person. Areas include but aren't limited to athleticism, academic progress, and positive citizenship.
* Manage, support, mentor, and be responsible for the actions and decisions of assistant football coaches.
* Comply with the rules and regulations of the California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA), Southern California Football Association (SCFA), Orange Empire Conference, and Orange Coast College as outlined by Divisional Handbook.
* Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics.
* Fulfill the professional responsibilities of a full-time faculty member including, but not limited to the following: teach all scheduled classes unless excused under provisions of Board Policy; follow the department course outlines; keep accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and progress; submit student grades according to established deadlines; post and maintain scheduled office hours; participate in departmental meetings and college and/or district-wide activities and committees as assigned.
* The assignment may include day, evening, weekend, and online sections.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.