Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
- Reflects the diversity of our community
- Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
- Is attracted by the college mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
- Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
- Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
- Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
*Commitment to Equity and Inclusion*_
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and under represented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
As an open access and low-cost institution, ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds of our students. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC’s faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:
Continuing Education-Health Science Instructor Assistant/Lab Coordinator (Temporary)
Job Description Summary:
Implements and teaches educational programs, courses, experiences, and services that will directly aid students in achieving educational objectives; maintain regular
office hours and assists in curriculum development and planning.
Description of Duties and Tasks
- Teaches courses as assigned which correlate with the catalog descriptions and course outlines and in a manner designed to assist the student to achieve the specific objectives of the course.
- Advises students of requirements established by the instructor for meeting course objectives.
- Periodically examines and informs each student of their progress toward achieving course objectives.
- Prepares and administers examinations by-program established for the subject area of assignment.
- Researches and recommends the revision, deletion, or addition of programs and courses to reflect the developmental changes occurring with the subject area.
- Participates in evaluations of curriculum and instruction.
- Participates in the evaluation of instructional materials.
- Accepted principles, practices, and trends of program served.
- Applicable sections of the State Education Code.
- Knowledge of policies, regulations, educational master plan.
- Labor market conditions and demographic composition of community’s population.
- Principles and techniques of teaching.
- Requirements for academic subjects.
- Communicate both orally and in writing.
- Establish effective relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the business community.
- Interpret, apply, and explain regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Plan and organize the programs and activities assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Effectively using interpersonal and written communications skills.
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
Required Work Experience
- Valid Texas Driver’s License and reliable transportation for local Austin area travel.
- Work is performed in a standard office or similar environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
This hourly rate varies depending on assignment.
Number of Openings:
Job Posting Close Date:
April 21, 2022
*ACC Benefits Overview*_
Full-time faculty and staffing table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the college are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty and Administrators Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by federal law.
The Austin Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, political affiliation or other protected categories.
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under the Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.