Orange Coast College (OCC) is seeking a full-time, equity-minded, tenure track faculty member in Food Service Management commencing with the 2018 fall semester. The primary teaching assignment involves providing an engaging educational experience to students through means of lecture and lab using various teaching tools to encourage effectiveness and outcomes of the academic curriculum taught. Further, this assignment requires participation in the growth of the program through outreach and marketing; and maintaining the relevancy of the program by continuous revision of the curriculum to meet industry standards and expectations. This assignment also includes curriculum and program development, participation in department, division, college committees, and participatory governance activities assuming leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole; collaboration across disciplines and the leveraging of student support resources; and participation in ongoing professional development.
The assignment may be day, evening, weekend, online, hybrid, or off campus and is subject to change as needed. The ideal candidate for this position embraces the overall mission of Orange Coast College and the Coast Community College District, with a clear, focused commitment to supporting individualized student and employee goals through the work of Food Service Management.
The Food Service Management Department shares OCC's commitment to equitable outcomes; inclusive practices; and racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity. Ideal candidates for this position share OCC's devotion to educating and improving the lives of our representative student, employee, and community populations. We currently enroll 22,285 students, the majority of whom are from racially minoritized populations: 35% of OCC's students are Latinx, 2% are African-American, 21% are Asian, less than 1% Native American, 32% are White, and 6% are multiracial. Faculty have the opportunity to enhance their classroom methods during two professional development days during the academic year, which include learning sessions like "Digital Accessibility", "Basic Skills: Helping students help themselves" and "Taking a skills based approach to teaching college students". Student centered activities that support OCC's mission include campus wide student success projects funded by the Office of Student Equity; partnerships with local Hispanic Serving four year institutions; active programs that work to improve the academic achievement of racially minoritized students, such as PUENTE and UMOJA; Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) and Disabled Student Program and Services (DSPS).
Examples of Duties:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Provide instruction in Food Service Management in accordance with established course outlines.
2. Provide leadership in the development and revision of Food Service Management curriculum responsive to the students served.
3. Participate in curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation; participate in and develop programs to measure student performance.
4. Maintain current knowledge in the subject matter areas.
5. Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics.
6. Fulfill the professional responsibilities of a full-time faculty member including, but not limited to the following: teach all scheduled classes unless excused under provisions of Board Policy; follow the department course outlines; keep accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and progress; submit student grades according to established deadlines; post and maintain scheduled office hours; participate in departmental meetings and college and/or district-wide activities and committees as assigned.
7. Assignment may include day, evening, weekend, and online sections.
8. Assist the Program Coordinator with the following:
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.