San Jose ∙ Evergreen Community College District
Temporary Classified Job Description
Position: Temporary Student Retention Assistant
Department: Student Affairs
Location: Evergreen Valley Community College
Under general direction of a Dean or assigned administrator in the TRIO Program at EVC, the Student Retention Assistant performs specialized and varied duties coordinating the delivery of services for program-identified students to increase the extent to which they complete their educational and career objectives; and provides academic follow-up, evaluation and referral through retention monitoring.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Attend classes and lectures in vocational and academic subject areas to identify and observe retention skills of students within the program.
2. Monitor student academic progress, provide advisement and support to students in need of improving or maintaining academic standing.
3. Review and discuss academic problems with student and faculty to identify methods for improvement and other available college assistance programs.
4. Assist faculty and students alike in coordinating learning activities and methods to optimize understanding of academic subject matter.
5. Coordinate and conduct group activities with program students such as study groups, workshops, and tutoring services.
6. Provide information and referral to other student service programs, financial aid, and community programs as necessary.
7. Provide assistance to and coordinate with program Counselors.
8. Collect, organize and analyze statistical data concerning program students in relation to their academic progress and the provision of supportive services; create and maintain retention database in systems.
9. Research potential career opportunities with local community employers for students within the program.
10. Coordinate efforts between admissions, counseling and financial aid to ensure an effective in-take process for identified program students.
11. Identify and provide activities designed to assist students with transfer to four-year institutions.
12. Provide assistance in conducting various student informational and motivational workshops.
13. Provide assistance in preparing program project plans and reports
14. May make presentations to provide academic and program information to multicultural communities such as high schools and community-based organizations.
15. Perform other duties as assigned related to the job classification.
1. Process of matriculation within the community college system.
2. Retention strategies.
3. Resources, services, and programs provided by a community college which could be utilized to extend and improve retention efforts.
4. Public presentation methods and techniques.
5. Federal and State financial assistance programs.
6. Modern office methods and practices including computer and software usage such as word processing, database and spreadsheet applications.
Skills and Ability to:
1. Provide academic and career information to students which will be helpful in pursuing academic goals and job objectives.
2. Apply language skills to read, analyze and utilize procedures manuals, instructional textbooks, resource materials, and program/governmental regulations; write reports and correspondence; and effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of faculty, students and the general public.
3. Apply mathematical skills to add, subtract, multiply and divide using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimal; convert from one unit of measure to another; compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
4. Utilize reasoning skills to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
5. Effectively communicate and interact with persons of diverse socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds.
6. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationship with those contacted during the course of work.
Experience and Education:
1. Associate's degree from a two-year college or technical school; OR two years related experience and/or training; OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender identity, sexual orientation, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the individuals we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
1. Typical office environment.
1. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
2. Sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
3. Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
4. Seeing to read a variety of materials.
Interested applicants are to submit a resume & a letter of interest to Mario Flores ">(email@example.com). Please contact Mario Flores if you have any questions. This position is available now through November 30, 2022 with the possibility of extension.