SAN JOSE/EVERGREEN COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
Journalism Instructor (Part-Time)
The San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is seeking a part-time/adjunct Journalism Instructor for the Fall 22 semester with the possibility for rehire in the 2022-2023 academic year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Teaching assignment may include teaching off campus, day or evening classes, weekend classes, distance learning and using multiple teaching methodologies
· Teach any of the following Journalism courses: JOURN-021 - Mass Media and Society (3 units); JOURN-022 - News Writing and Reporting for the Media (3 units); JOURN-023 - Intermediate Newswriting and Reporting (3 units); JOURN-025 - Publications Laboratory Staff: Photojournalism (3 units); JOURN-032A - Media Production 1 (3 units) * (Offered Concurrent); JOURN-032B - Media Production 2 (3 units); JOURN-032C - Media Production 3 (3 units); JOURN-032D - Media Production 4 (3 units); JOURN-035A - Introduction to Editorial Management (1 unit) * (Offered Concurrent);JOURN-035B – Intermediate Editorial Management (1 unit); JOURN-035C – High Intermediate Editorial Management (1 unit);JOURN-035D – Advanced Editorial Management (1 unit)
· Oversee the production of printed (monthly) and virtual San Jose City Times newspaper
· Demonstrate commitment to professional development, including but not limited to activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc.
· Conduct Office hours-.50% of an hour for each 20% load course
· Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students and staff of diverse racial, ethnic, academic, and socio-economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for differences and the dignity of others.
· Use computer and multimedia technology;
· Conduct collegial participation in departmental, college and discipline-specific professional activities.
· Maintain subject matter currency
· Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles.
· Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings and keep posted office hours.
· Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g., grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
· Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy.
· Foster a professional work and learning environment.
· Perform other duties as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
· Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and assessment, program review, committees, research, and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Masters in Journalism or Communication with a specialization in Journalism OR
Bachelors in either of the above AND
Masters in English, History, Communication, Literature, Composition, Comparative Literature, any Social Science, Business, Business Administration, Marketing, Graphics, or Photography OR
· Professional experience in reporting and editing or photojournalism and newspaper production; and
· Knowledge of Macintosh systems and software programs in Creative Cloud.
· Related activities can include conferences, contests and equipment management.
· Experience in teaching and credentials in Distance Education or Distance Education Certification
· Experience in providing a student-centered environment that emphasizes teaching and learning and encourages critical thinking.
· Experience in working effectively with students and staff of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds and ages and successfully interact with supervisors, colleagues, and staff as part of an education team.
Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Assignments may include day and evening responsibilities. This position is represented by the San José-Evergreen Community College District Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
Please apply using the Direct Link below
Direct Link: http://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/1749
Position #F19014, Open and Continuous
Other part-time instructors are needed to teach classes in other disciplines on an as needed basis.
Please refer to http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities
for a complete list of all employment opportunities at San José-Evergreen Community College District.