Provides for the effective operation of a campus-based, dual-function child development program. Works with staff, children, parents, ECE faculty and students to provide an integrated, child-centered curriculum, modeling state-of-the-art early childhood education practices, based on current theory and pedagogy, for staff and students.
Distinguishing Career Features
Early Childhood Education Lab School Manager provides leadership to a pre-school environment that also supports the College's academic program for ECE by offering a lab setting to college-level students pursuing a curriculum in child care and development. The Early Childhood Education Lab School Manager requires credentials as a child development teacher and site supervisor as well as the ability to setup the lab to meet National Association for Education of Young Children (NAEYC) guidelines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties may vary among departments and jobs. Incumbents typically perform a substantial portion or all of the following kinds of duties:
* Plans, develops, and implements the ECE Lab School philosophy, program elements, and methods to follow current pedagogy of the ECE department and licensing and NAEYC guidelines.
* Creates a child-centered, developmentally appropriate model preschool and child development program based on the needs of the children as a group, individual needs and interests reflecting the curriculum taught in the ECE program.
* Plans and implements developmentally appropriate content and approaches for children's learning in the ECE setting, emphasizing emergent and anti-bias curriculum, project approach, and methods for individualized programs.
* Develops classroom scenarios for students to learn the teaching methods that enhance children's engagement in activities and projects, critical thinking, and individual needs.
* Establishes standards for service delivery and instruction support. Supervises, trains, and reviews/evaluates the performance of ECE staff, work study students, and other classroom personnel.
* Schedules and places students in the preschool lab settings and ensures that teaching staff model appropriate educational techniques. Conducts individual and group discussions on methods, and daily field work session reviews.
* Develops proposals and administers approved budgets, recommends tuition rates, and organizes events to raise funds to support the School. Orders and outreaches to community partners and funding sources to obtain classroom supplies.
* Plans, schedules, and holds parent-child orientations at the beginning of each semester. Develops agenda for a parent advisory/support teams and represents the ECE staff and provides regular reports of parent team activity at staff meetings.
* Ensures an assessment of each child's development is done by ECE Associates in order to develop and implement curriculum responding to the children as a group and to individual needs.
* Assures nutritious snacks that provide a maximum level of child participation by overseeing nutrition activities. Posts menus for parent viewing.
* Assures compliance all licensing regulations and the safety of children by ensuring and practicing emergency preparedness, assessing facility conditions, and observing and reporting child abuse or neglect.
* Prepares performance evaluations, assessments, and participates in program reviews as required. Participates in program reviews and resource requests and ensures that reports are submitted on a timely basis.
* Coordinates and participates in special events for the children and families, and for promoting the program, often occurring during evening and weekend times.
* Participates in and may oversee community outreach, recruiting and registration, fund raising and other special events. Represents the College/District at external meetings.
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.