KINESIOLOGY INSTRUCTOR / ATHLETIC DIRECTOR
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Evergreen Valley College
This faculty position is a full-time, 100% FTE (10 Months) Tenure Track position as Kinesiology Instructor / Athletic Director in the Division of Social Sciences, Humanities, Arts and Physical Education located at Evergreen Valley College.
Assignment may include day and evening responsibilities.
This position is represented by the San Jose/Evergreen Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Direct, develop, implement and supervise the administration of the athletic program, including the hiring, training and evaluation of coaches and staff.
2. Coordinate with Academic Affairs as the administrative lead for athletic course scheduling and staffing.
3. Communicate with a variety of community college personnel and others to coordinate program activities, provide guidance and direction and assist in other program-related issues.
4. Supervise athletic activities to assure compliance with community and related policies and procedures.
5. Direct, monitor and review budget preparation, requisition of supplies and equipment, travel arrangements, health requirements and official assignments; maintain positive community relations and represent the college at various community meetings.
6. Develop, implement, and supervise fundraising events and activities, as appropriate and as authorized by District policies and procedures.
7. Ensure the academic progress of athletes and provide coordination and supervision for academic support programs, prepare, direct and review home contests.
8. Conduct various eligibility and staff meetings; understand and apply Commission on athletics (COA) and National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) rules, and Federal gender equity requirements (Title 9).
9. Teach courses in assigned discipline by communicating subject matter clearly and effectively.
10. Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles.
11. Demonstrate commitment to professional development, including but not limited to activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc.
12. Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students and staff of diverse racial, ethnic, academic and socio economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for differences and the dignity of others.
13. Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and assessment, program review, committees, research and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district.
14. Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings and keep posted office hours.
15. Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g. grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
16. Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy.
17. Foster a professional work and learning environment.
18. Perform other duties as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Masters degree in Kinesiology, Physical Education, Exercise Science, Education with an emphasis in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Physiology of Exercise or Adaptive Physical Education
Bachelors degree in any of the above AND Masters degree in any Life Science, Dance, Physiology, Health Education, Recreation Administration or Physical Therapy
1. College level coaching experience.
2. College level teaching experience
3. Experience working with coaches and/or faculty.
4. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
Districts Diversity Requirements
- Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender identity, sexual orientation, cultural, disability, and ethnic background of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced
- Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the Districts hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
$71,270 to $97,833 Entry Level Annual Salary (Academic Salary Schedule 2017-2018); Maximum Salary Potential $124,022. Note: Actual Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Faculty also receive paid sick leave.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the Districts emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.