Otis College of Art and Design
Full-Time Faculty, Communication Arts & MFA Graphic Design
Otis College of Art and Design is accepting applications for a full-time faculty appointment in both the Communication Arts and MFA Graphic Design departments. This position works consistently with the Department Chair, Assistant Chair, and Program Coordinators to update and implement a relevant graphic design program at the BFA and MFA level. The individual is encouraged to initiate co-curricular events that enhance the academic experience of the students. This position reports directly to the Chair of Communication Arts and MFA Graphic Design.
Otis offers competitive compensation and benefits. Initial placement in rank is recommended by the Search Committee and requires review and approval of the Chair of the Rank & Promotion Committee and the Provost. The College does not grant faculty tenure; this is a renewable full-time faculty appointment subject to annual review based on a performance review.
Appointment – The Communication Arts and the MFA Graphic Design departments teach the technical, theoretical, professional, and critical skills necessary for students to succeed in the creative fields. For more information about both departments, visit: http://www.otis.edu/communication-arts and http://www.otis.edu/graduate-graphic-design.
Essential Duties Summary
- Teaches an average of 18 contact hours per week or 36 contact hours each year across three semesters, including summer.
- Provide a minimum of 6 hours on average per week in service to the department and the College (i.e., serving on college-wide committees, attending faculty meetings) as assigned by the Chair.
- Demonstrates an interest and ability to work creatively and effectively with a diverse student body and be part of a team of professional artists/designers/educators.
- Experience in writing design curriculum, especially new technologies and interactive experience design, is ideal.
- The position requires administrative duties pertaining to recruitment, promotion, exhibiting student work, advising, and assessing and documenting student success.
- Works consistently with the Department Chair, Assistant Chair and Program Coordinators to update and implement a relevant graphic design program at the BFA and MFA level. They will be encouraged to initiate co-curricular events that enhance the academic experience of the students.
- College committee participation is required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Chair.
- MFA in design or related field required.
- 5 years of college-level teaching experience in Design at an accredited institution.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to work creatively and effectively with a diverse student body.
- Must be able to be a part of a team of professional artists/designers/educators.
- Experience in writing design curriculum, especially new technologies and interactive experience design is desirable.
- Preference will be given to individuals with strong interpersonal skills, collaborative skills, and evidence of successful academic leadership.
- Preference will be given to individuals with demonstrated teaching effectiveness in graphic design and a professional standing of a national/international scope.
- Preference will be given to candidates with areas of expertise in environmental graphics, community engagement, branding, user experience, and/or new technologies.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must apply via our website at otis.simplehire.com to be considered for the position.